Taarka on Being Independent for Over 16 Years
The way we’ve managed to be successful as an independent band is by delegating tasks. Our core band is a duo, so one of us communicates with the booking agent and advances the shows, and keeps track of the band finances on and off the road.
To be blunt, find someone who likes your music; someone who believes in what you are doing. It’s easy for a publicist to charge a small band a lot money and not really doing anything, so make sure they dig your tunes, fit your style, and want to be a part of what you’re doing.
This is how DICKIE’s bio starts: DICKIE is a contrast in design. To pair a mid-forties gray-mopped “hang-it-up-already” pop songwriter and a striking mid-twenties classically trained violinist is simply a formula for deserved obscurity. But in practice, the balance proves a brilliant alliance.
I’ve been going to Nashville a lot over the years. One of the first companies to embrace me and let me write with their writers was Carnival Music. The president Frank Liddell happens to be married to Lee Ann. So the song “fly” which I co- wrote with Carnival writer Brent Cobb got into her hands and she liked it enough to cover it!
Are you unsure about what you must do to get more gigs? You could be causing problems for yourself by thinking that “venues aren’t looking for bands in this moment,” or “there’s too much competition for my band to stand a chance”. Fact is, these statements are based in excuses.
This is my debut as a solo artist and songwriter. I hope it attracts people to my work and allows me to make more records and play some shows at some point too. In the mean time I just want to keep writing with other artists, playing guitar and bass on sessions and live, and making commercial music.
- Dawson Hollow Has a New Name, Look and Sound Since 2002 this multi-award-winning band has performed ...
- Singers and Smoking Motivation for quitting smoking, smoking cessation and ...
- Independent Artist’s Daily And Monthly To-Do List Besides being a performer and a recording artist, you a...
- 20 questions every band should answer Want to know if you’re cut out for a full-time music ca...
- The Doughnut Around BandCamp, Reverbnation and SoundCloud I’ve been familiar with all BandCamp, Reverbnation and ...
- How hard do you need to try to get yourself noticed #musicpromotion #headabovemusic #talent #musicindustry #artworld https://t.co/wdBkaNfqqD9 hours ago
- How hard do you need to try to get yourself noticed and what should your expectaions be in return?... https://t.co/QQxHqFFmGr9 hours ago
- Talent Will Get You Nowhere https://t.co/gFnutEtVrH9 hours ago
- #TBT Finding time to efficiently practice and stay on top of our game, while working around all the other things... https://t.co/ioUr8sATKWyesterday